By Bette L. Bottoms, Margaret Bull Kovera, Bradley D. McAuliff
This learn integrates social technological know-how study, social coverage, and felony research on the topic of youngsters and the legislation. It presents the main state of the art details on hand on themes akin to baby abuse, kid's eyewitness testimony, divorce and custody, juvenile crime, and kid's rights. the amount is a vital source for researchers, lawyers, judges, coverage makers, legislators, and psychological well-being, social carrier, and police pros.
Read or Download Children, Social Science, and the Law PDF
Similar developmental psychology books
Complex language acquisition is feasible even with severe psychological handicap. this can be the realization reached on the finish of an intensive research of the language of a Down syndrome grownup lady, displaying almost common expressive and receptive grammar. this example, offered during this publication, is in comparison to a small variety of different unprecedented situations of language improvement in psychological retardation.
"Understanding 4-5-year-olds" offers a considerate evaluate of the demanding situations that youngsters face as they steadily circulation clear of a robust attachment to their households and switch in the direction of the broader international of college and lifestyles open air the kin. Lesley Maroni discusses the severe social and emotional advancements at this age, together with id, independence and sibling contention, the transition to varsity and friendships with friends, dealing with ailment and loss, and gender adjustments.
Developmental conception is the essence of any psychodynamic psychother apy, and positively of psychoanalysis. it truly is via an realizing of revolutionary existence occasions, and how those occasions relate to linked organic and social occasions, that we come to appreciate either psycho pathology and mental strengths.
- Studying individual development in an interindividual context: a person-oriented approach
- Frontiers of Developmental Psychopathology (Series in Developmental Psychological Science)
- Children and Pollution: Why Scientists Disagree
- Mechanisms of cognitive development: behavioral and neural perspectives
- Handbook of Childhood Death and Bereavement
- Evolution’s Eye: A Systems View of the Biology-Culture Divide
Extra resources for Children, Social Science, and the Law
Under TANF no individual has a guarantee of benefits, as was the case under AFDC. Instead, states receive a fixed block grant that they administer, with considerable latitude, regarding benefits and eligibility criteria. Additionally, TANF cash benefits are limited to 60 cumulative months, after which no federal dollars can be used. States have the option of exempting up to 20% of their caseload from this time limit and may also use state dollars to provide a cash benefit beyond the 60-month limit.
1. 1) and welfare receipt. Children in Black and Hispanic families were over twice as likely as White children to be poor in 1997, with poverty rates especially high in female-headed families. Similarly, the vast majority of children receiving AFDC support in 1995 were living in single-parent families: 25% due to separation/divorce and 57% due to nonmarital childbirth. Thirty-six percent of parents in AFDC families were White, 37% were Black, and 21% were Hispanic (Committee on Ways and Means, 1998).
One concern is that abstinence education programs will supplant more effective comprehensive sexuality education and teen pregnancy prevention efforts and potentially place youth at greater risk for unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. Partly in response to the criticism that these new programs are largely unproven, Congress allotted $6 million for a national evaluation of the abstinence until marriage education initiative. Child Support Many families receiving AFDC in the past were single-parent (specifically single-mother) families who were not receiving child support from the absent spouse.
Children, Social Science, and the Law by Bette L. Bottoms, Margaret Bull Kovera, Bradley D. McAuliff